Monday, September 22, 2014

The Writer in Me


By Tom J. Miller




We all try to find our meaning in life, our calling. Some will have a more straightforward journey finding this meaning. I certainly did not. I suppressed my true passion – writing – for a portion of my adolescence. This reluctance to follow my passion was mostly because writing is socially considered "soft" in nature. Much of my generation does not find any appeal in the individuality, creativity, and craftsmanship that compose a finished product. However, many of these people have only a superficial understanding of writing and are oblivious to its deeper significance.

Writing is not merely a means of communication; it is everything that our soul is comprised of in text format. Any piece that you produce, even a fiction novel, is uniquely you. Writing is a byproduct of one's own peculiar brain processes. Given the same subject to write about, regardless of the genre, people will go about it in entirely different ways. Each individual writer develops his or her own style that separates their work from that of others'. Furthermore, a tangible work of writing will allow one to diffuse their thoughts more readily and on a larger scale. As seen with historical figures, one's written ideas, observations, etc. will most likely outlive them. They are leaving behind for successive generations a display of who they were; a portrait whose medium is not paint, but words. This individualistic nature of writing is often underemphasized or completely overlooked. Only when this disconnect is fixed can one understand the true power of the craft in imparting and perpetuating one's identity.

Creativity is an indivisible element of human nature. Most people have had a creative outlet at some point in their life, whether it is drawing, composing music, inventing, or in my case, writing. What separates writing from the others is that it is virtually limitless. Most mediums of creativity require a number of resources in order to materialize anything. Writing on the other hand only requires a pen, paper, and an imagination. The boundaries of writing begin where your imagination ends. Therefore, if you can envision it, you can materialize it. The limitations on an individual's creativity are minimal. For example, structure is crucial in any genre of writing, but that is not enough to inhibit creativity. If anything it stimulates it; one has to ensure that the puzzle pieces, which are the story's components, fit together properly. Experiences throughout a writer's life will spur inspiration, yielding possibilities that are never-ending. Being a writer, you are unrestricted by any external force. You define reality.

The complex simplicity of writing renders it a very engaging art form. It is simple in the sense that the fundamental objective is to get a point across. However, not everyone who can get their point across is a good writer. A good writer is one who utilizes techniques to expound their ideas more efficaciously. The degree to which one employs these techniques and therefore illustrates their theme to their audience is a measure of their aptitude as a writer. A novice writer will tell; an experienced writer will show. The latter will have a more profound impact on an audience. If everybody had this ability, writing as a profession would not exist. In addition, as a writer, an individual will always be learning. Whether it is expanding their vocabulary to spice up their work, modifying it to be more fluent, or even studying the work of another writer, there is always room for improvement. As a writer learns, their writing will flourish accordingly.


As a writer, I am distinct. My work is a reflection of my individuality. As a writer, I am free. A new dimension is added to possibility. As a writer, I am zealous. I intend to master the craft. These aspects factor into my profound love for the art of writing. This love is stronger than all of the other forces in life that have invariably shaped me. I made the decision to pursue my calling. I rediscovered myself - the part of me that never died, only temporarily subsided - the writer in me.